Lez Girls at the Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lez Girls iPod

MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com
Lez Girls are saying
Powered by ShoutJax
Gallery

Merry Merry Musings.... Empty

Merry Merry Musings....

Go down

Merry Merry Musings.... Empty Merry Merry Musings....

Some thoughts on Christmas….

A friend of mine went to a Christmas play last year at a large church here in southern California. It was beautiful, she said, complete with flying angels singing on high….and real camels. She was filled with the spirit, beauty, and the hope of the story. As she left to go home, driving out of the parking lot with the rest of the crowd, she was shocked to have someone honk and yell at her…filled with “road rage” trying to hurry out of the parking lot. She was struck with the fact that many of the shiny cars filled with people, who just minutes earlier were watching the story of the birth of the “Prince of Peace“, were trying hard not to let anyone go ahead of them as they made their way out to the street. “How soon they forget“, she thought. Although she does remember getting a wave of thanks from one driver as she let him into the line of cars in front of her, she also remembers receiving another loud honk from someone behind her. She just shook her head.

Another friend , who has worked in retail for the last ten years, told of being advised a few years back by his corporate offices to not wish his customers “Merry Christmas” but rather “Happy Holidays” because several different religious holidays occur simultaneously. This is fine and seems reasonable but it was not in the form of a suggestion…rather it was a directive. NO Merry Christmas….NO Happy Hanuka. No one wanted to offend a customer…risking not making a sale.

When I was young I can remember my mother not shopping at stores that had decorations that said “Merry Xmas” I remember being with her when she has torn down small signs saying the same thing and throwing them on the floor. She couldn’t stand the fact that they were taking Christ out of Christmas. “Without Christ….why have the holiday?” she would fume!!! She suggested they just call it “Buy your family and friends a bunch of unnecessary gifts for what ever reason you choose “Day”!! This was a bigger insult to her than say…someone saying “Happy Hanuka” to her or having that displayed along with “Merry Christmas“. My Mother would gladly have shared in that sentiment.

Have we lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas? Do people go to church services or Christmas pageants to simply be entertained or fulfill their once a year religious requirement? Have we been blinded by the new tradition of spending big-time? Is not only our pocket books but our faith being controlled by big business?

Whether you believe or not, the day was set aside, long ago, to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Plain and beautifully simple.

I often describe myself as somewhat of an agnostic. I believe in a higher power…you can call it God...just not quite ready to fully subscribe to what organized religion teach about that power…or their judgment of how I can reach any kind of state of enlightenment…or heaven. I feel that too much has been lost in the interpretation or to the politics of the day. I attended Catholic school and was taught from the Bible in my formidable years. I have also been told several times that my teachings were wrong and not complete enough…this may be so. However, I have come to believe that Jesus did exist and that his existence changed the world profoundly. His followers set aside this day to commemorate his birth…all be it they may have just chosen this day because it was already a ancient holiday and was convenient…that does not matter. To millions of people this is the holiest of holy days. A day to think how a child, a meek and innocent child, born in a stable, brought hope and the promise of peace to the world. If nothing else, that is what it is…a story of hope and peace. A time when mankind can stop and be kind to each other…maybe give a small gift to each other like the ones brought to the stable on that night. It is just hard for me to believe that a story about a fat man in a red suit, flying through the sky with a sleigh full of toys could overshadow that….but it has it seems.

Sometimes Christmas just points out to me how we have become so absorbed with material things. Shouldn’t this day be seen as HIS day and not ours…that he shares it with mankind to give us earthly and emotional happiness? A day that true happiness can and should be felt in spirit and not with the newest electronic gadget…or a bigger TV than the neighbors.

I don‘t know…as I see people spend money…I know it is good for the economy and jobs…but….I just wish Christmas was felt as much as it is seen. I want it to be about love and sharing love. Let the spirit of gift-giving be measured NOT by how much, but the thought of a friend or loved one remembering you. Christmas should be about how you celebrate it and how you make people feel loved. I guess I feel, after sharing the story of Christ’s birth and that hope he was sent here to bring to a tired and troubled world….Christmas should live everyday…in your heart. Not just until the new toy you received needs new batteries and sits forgotten in the back of your closet….

Just saying…..Merry Merry Musings.... Wreath Merry Merry Musings.... Xmascheers

Merry Christmas everyone…from me and my Bud's Charlie Brown and Linus...

Last edited by Mother Ocean on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Mother Ocean
Mother Ocean
Admin
Admin

https://lezgirls.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Merry Merry Musings.... :: Comments

yellowsmileyfaces

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 am  yellowsmileyfaces

I agree with you. This is the time of the year when i think everyone is at their worst. I can understand it because I don't think i am even at my best at this time of year. I am exhausted from working so many hours, my patience has run low because of the stupidity i have encountered over the season, and I have very little time for myself. In all of this, I know I often put the thought of the reason for the season on the back counter. I wish I didn't. I wish I could do what I think Jesus would do on this day, but because of what this season has become I can not.
Now don't get me wrong, I love presents. I love that this part of the quarter usually determines if you will make budget for the rest of the year. I even love how our store is full of shoppers and crowds that we don't usually see, I just wish we somehow could keep the joy (the real joy that only comes from Jesus) while all this takes place. I believe He is often sad by how all of us act at this time of the year.
For me this season is all kind of sad. It reminds me of what might have been, mostly before my brother was murdered. I try my best to stay positive and not let those thoughts come, but the more tired and stressed I get....it eventually hits. Anyway, I guessed I mused on your muse. Sorry my friend, but good thoughts. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Mother Ocean

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 pm  Mother Ocean

Yes YSF, I guess you see it first hand. I does not have to be that way. I guess I should show the rest of this Charlie Brown Christmas....maybe it will make us feel a little better....

Sorry it's so hard to hear....

Back to top Go down

minnie

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:59 am  minnie

Irrefutable, thank you Mother.

Just a few considerations from someone who is not what they call “a believer”.
I will just tell what comes to mind, without talking of God .. a subject that I really don’t master..sorry ..Hope you forgive me for this.

We live in a consumerist society and in some ways I consider it a blessing.
I don’t think anyone of us would like to live in a different way.
We are lucky .. if we think of how many people in the world have not the privileges and the comforts we all have in our countries.

Christmas is the most consumerist holiday …besides Halloween, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Woman’s Day .. and so on .
I don’t see it as a bad thing .. I think that everyone of us likes having a well-laid table at Christmas and loves making his or her children happy ..even if this means to spend some money.
We had fun with a simple doll or a box of colours. But things are not the same .. times are not the same anymore .

When I was young Christmas for me was the greatest day of all. I had all my family around ..Mom, dad, my uncles and aunts .. my cousins .. they stayed at my house for three day ..beds everywhere and my mom in the kitchen cooking all the time.
I waited for Santa all night long … I remember I was scared and I hid under the blankets asking my sister “ Have you heard ? Is it Santa?” and she answered .. “Be quiet and let me sleep!”, nice as always…
It was so exciting, it was magical.

When the dream ended and everything became only a very sweet memory .. I stopped loving Christmas the way I did. The magic was over forever..
The only thing that has brought back a little joy is my babies’ happiness at Christmas.. their smiles when they wake up and run away from their beds to see what’s under the Christmas tree, their serenity because there is no school and all they want to do is playing and having fun.

About the rest .. I agree with you . Christmas should be in our hearts every day of the year and I know it is for the people on this site that I know and love.
I also know that we are human beings and we fail many times. We lie, we hurt, we are distracted by our daily lives and troubles and sometimes too busy and tired to show the ones we love how much we care for them and how much they mean to us .

So .. I think that Christmas should be a moment of personal, deep and intimate thinking.. a new “birth” of ourselves, with the hope that this can be another step to be better persons .. even better that we are already .

@YSF .. I wish you to find serenity . Don’t think of what it might have been, look back only to find good memories that can warm your heart. Our loved ones are in a better place and they are good.

Too long-winded ...so I will stop here .
Merry Christmas to all of you with all the love I can, Pappy, Mother, YSF, Italianbabe and Hermana Luna. I wish we could live near and drink a galss of good wine together. Wine
Merry Christmas also to all the others I never had the pleasure to talk to. I hope to meet you soon.

Eat , drink , laugh , rest and be happy.

Love R

Back to top Go down

paperinik

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 am  paperinik

Mother, YSF and Minnie. I loved your thounghts about Christmas season.
I think it's so important to have a moment in the year more or less important for the people, but unique in the World, where the people can think their life, or their family or partner or friends with a gift.

It's a momento where the family is together, in Italy, in USA, around the world, even for who doesn't believe.

Merry Christmas Minnie, Mother Ocean, YSF, Italianbabe, Hermana Luna to you and your families. Group Hug

Back to top Go down

yellowsmileyfaces

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:53 am  yellowsmileyfaces

Merry Christmas all. Thanks for showing us a new way to see things.

Back to top Go down

Mother Ocean

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 am  Mother Ocean

Yes...I do agree i enjoyed giving gifts to my family...especially my girls...but I notice something that hasn't changed since they were babies....the enjoyed playing with the ribbon and wrapping paper just as much!! Much fun was had decorating each other...I hope they never change! Even Cuz Sean had a beautiful bow tiara!!

Back to top Go down

Hermana Luna

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:42 pm  Hermana Luna

Those Friends of yours Mother sound very wise! Wink I agree we need to take Christmas back from the profiteers!! Gifts should be small and from the heart. Children will find the same excitement if we just show them the way. I wish next year to spend Christmas with just the children of my family and tell the adults to stay at home. I guess that is not possible and not in the spirit.

I hope all had a Merry Christmas and are looking forward to a Happy, Loving and prosperous New Year!! Thank you all for having me here where I too feel I can be myself.

Mother, thank you for the giving me the picture to store in my head of my future Doctor S (a future Gynecologist I understand) with the bow tiara! Now I can bring that to mind when he examines me! Merry Merry Musings.... Doctor

Back to top Go down

paperinik

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:30 am  paperinik

Hello Hermana, I hope your Christams season was ok. Thanks for your wishing for NEw Year. Take care. drink up

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum